How To Repair Sun Damage
Spending lazy days of summer out in the sun may sound relaxing, but this carefree approach is often damaging to the skin. In fact, each sunburn increases a patient’s risk for skin cancer in the future. Additionally, patients may notice the signs of sun damage on the face and body, including the development of freckles, sagging skin, uneven pigmentation of the skin, and even the early formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Patients who are interested in reversing the signs of sun damage are welcome to speak to our team at the Skin Center of South Miami to learn about the treatments available.
What are some ways to reverse sun damage?
Fortunately, if sun damage has occurred, patients have a few different options to help in reversing common skin conditions caused by extensive sun exposure. The following services may be recommended for South Miami, FL patients who want to improve the appearance of their skin:
- Dermal fillers
- Laser rejuvenation treatments
- Facial rejuvenation treatments
- Light-based therapies
- Chemical peels
How can I protect my skin from sun damage?
The next step in addressing sun damaged skin is to keep the skin protected from here on out! Patients are strongly encouraged to be aware of how long they spend outdoors in the sun and protect their skin if they are exposed to UVA and UVB rays. Our team will recommend protecting the skin and reducing one’s risk of skin cancer by following these tips:
- Wear broadband sunscreen with an SPF of 35 or higher every day on exposed skin
- Stay out of the sun during the time of day when the rays are the strongest, between 10am and 4pm
- Wear a broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses when spending time outdoors to protect the face and eyes
- Avoid tanning outside or in tanning beds, as this adds to one’s UVA and UVB exposure
- Schedule an annual skin cancer screening to catch signs of skin cancer early enough for successful intervention
Learn more about caring for sun damaged skin
If you are interested in learning more about the treatment of sun damaged skin, as well as preventative tips, we encourage you to book an appointment at the Skin Center of South Miami. We are located at 7800 SW 57th Avenue, Suite #110 and accept new and returning patients who call (305) 740-6181 for an initial evaluation.