Top 5 Excessive Sweating Treatments
If you struggle with excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis), you know just how inconvenient the constant deodorant reapplications and shirt changes can be. Though hyperhidrosis often happens in otherwise healthy people, many Skin Center of South Miami patients come in because they’re embarrassed about the condition. Fortunately, we provide several effective options to help you manage excessive sweating. Read on to learn more about hyperhidrosis and the top five treatment options.
What is Hyperhidrosis?
Hyperhidrosis is a common condition where excessive sweating isn’t related to heat or exercise. You might notice extra perspiration under your arms, on your back, or on your hands and feet. This excessive sweating may be caused by genetics or could have specific triggers, including:
- Hormonal changes during menopause, pregnancy, or puberty
- Anxiety disorders
- Medication side effects
Tracking your hyperhidrosis triggers can help our providers create a more effective treatment plan. During your consultation, we’ll rule out underlying conditions that can cause excessive sweating.
What Are the Best Excessive Sweating Treatments?
The top five hyperhidrosis treatments are:
- Prescription antiperspirants: These often come in wipes or sprays, are more potent than over-the-counter deodorant, and can reduce excessive sweating.
- Prescription topical creams: Topicals containing glycopyrrolate can be applied to the hands and feet to reduce hyperhidrosis symptoms.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic injections: This neuromodulator isn’t just a wrinkle reducer. It can also selectively turn off sweat glands in visible areas like underarms to temporarily relieve excessive sweating.
- Oral medications: Prescription nerve-blocking pills can reduce excess sweating.
- Antidepressants: If an underlying condition is causing hyperhidrosis, your mental health provider might prescribe other medications. For example, sweating caused by anxiety disorder might be treated with SSRIs or SNRIs.
Excessive Sweating Treatment in South Miami
Hyperhidrosis might be physically harmless, but that doesn’t mean you have to live with the inconvenience or embarrassment of pit stains and clammy hands. At Skin Center of South Miami’s state-of-the-art practice, our board-certified dermatologists and highly skilled skin specialists provide patient-focused care using the most advanced dermatological treatments. Call 305-740-6181 to book an appointment in South Miami, Florida to relieve your excessive sweating with the best treatments for hyperhidrosis.